Lake level: Down 2 relatively stable.
    Pumping: no
    Water Clarity: Improving 6-8 feet
    Surface temperature: Rising 69-79 F
    Barometer Reading: 30.4 rising
    Relative Humidity: 40%
    Moon phase: 3rd Quarter

Spring Break Week for the Fotoguy!!!
    Pulled into Holly Grove @ 8am, no one their! The first boat on the lake from that ramp. Still a little stained in the north part of the lake.
    Headed to the power lines for some live bait trolling and to find some bait,(good thing I bought some just incase) had heard they were there! Could not fine the first so, I headed south to check out a few coves. Found the first, second, third and fourth ( they averaged around 9 are so). They were on top running through the shad. All in shallow water about 7. All stripes were caught on live bait free lining out the back of the boat. I did manage to see a few busting the top of the water.
    Well all in all had a great day, caught some rays and some stripes!!!
    Headed to the Hooch in a few days.
    4/5/2010
    Attached Images

sounds great, thanks for the report

Nice fish, what kind of bait? I am looking for a good source for bait south of atlanta?

Hello SittinStill,
    Shiners from the Texaco at the corner of Hwy 81 and Keys Ferry Road
    Highway 81 Food Mart/Texaco
    3710 Highway 81 E, McDonough, GA
    (678) 565-4234‎

the last bait we used was blueback from lanier, but thats a haul! I live in griffin and have the means to keep about 15 dozen bluebacks here at my house but by time i make that haul 4 hours round trip, I was really cosidering buying bluegill from the local feed and seed by the pound and trying them instead, but I think i will give the ol shiners at hwy 81 a try, do you know how much they are there? I will give the local feed store a shout nd see how much the blugills are and might go with buying the shiner bulk instead. Last 9 pound stripe came off a bluegill we caught at the lake off the bank at our campsight.
    thanks for the help on this. I am settingup a my pontoon for striper fishing and really about ready to go try it again. Have not been skunked yet, but bait is everything!
    Thanks
    Sittinstill

have you tried catching your own bait there? Shad should outproduce shiners and bream....

not really, I was looking at getting setup to go at night with light and a genarator, but that gets a little expensive. I just want to have bait with me when I get there. I have a small net and am pretty good with it and have been looking into getting alarger one, but i really like to arrive with bait and not have to count on my casting net skills??? I found a place here in town (griffin) that stock jumbo shiners, 10.00 a dozen if all fails and I ned to go sfishing I can go there. I might just have to break down and mike that journey to Hammonds bait store on lanier. Any more suggestions would e greatfull.
    Thanks
    Sittinstill

You'll need to catch your bait the day before the fishing trip.

If all you are fishing with is shiners and bream it'll get old after a while. They really don't produce nearly as well as gizzards, bluebacks or big threads.

Read my article on here on how to catch gizzard shad it might help.

This is an expensive hobby, be prepared to blow money if you want to catch fish.

You won't need a generator to catch bait at night, a hydroglow and a marine battery will do just fine.

I am new to this sight, where might I find your article?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast